S.P.E.C. 3 LED
- “The light intensity gave me more confidence that materials were completely cured.”
- “Lightweight, easy to manipulate in the mouth.”
- “The buttons were easy to access.”
- “Small size makes it easy to see what you are doing.”
- “Round unit can roll off the counter.”
- “Offer a black light guide.”
- “Offer a simplified instruction card.”
S.P.E.C. 3 LED is a pen-style, cordless LED curing light with wavelength output of 430 to 490 nm. Its lightweight construction is designed to reduce hand fatigue, and the sealed aluminum body helps ensure effective disinfection. S.P.E.C. 3 LED features multiple curing modes (Standard, 3K and Ortho) for rapid and deep polymerization of all light-cured dental materials. Standard Mode offers high intensity and cures composite in 2 mm increments in 5 seconds. 3K Mode offers rapid curing of 2 mm increments in 1 second. Ortho Mode is designed for curing an entire arch of brackets with two, 3-second intervals per bracket. Maximum output is 1,600 mW/cm² in the Standard Mode and 3,000 mW/cm² in the 3K/Ortho Modes with the 8 mm turbo tip light guide. The lithium polymer battery provides enough storage capacity to perform over 300 10-second cures between charges. The unit comes with an 8 mm light guide, 100 barrier sheaths, two light shields, curing test block, and charger base with power supply. S.P.E.C. 3 LED was evaluated by 13 consultants in over 900 uses. This LED curing light received a 91% clinical rating.
S.P.E.C. 3 LED produced fast curing of dental materials with a unit that is easy to use. Consultants reported that it reduced the amount of time needed to cure composite, enhancing the efficiency of their clinical procedures. When “tack curing” resin cements, only a very brief flash of light is required. The charger base LED illuminates red when the device is charging and green when the unit is fully charged. Attention is required to ensure that the unit is fully seated in the base for charging. The control panel on the S.P.E.C. 3 LED includes the activation switch on one end and the mode switch on the other end. Familiarity with the programs is necessary for quick switching between modes. The 3K/Ortho Modes are indicated by an orange LED, whereas Standard Mode is a green LED. The 3K Mode is especially useful for pediatric patients and patients with strong gag reflexes. The Standard Mode allows 5-, 10- and 15-second curing times. Warmth was sometimes felt by patients beyond curing times of five seconds. The cone-shaped, orange light shield fits onto the curing tip but does not block out light along the length of the clear light guide. The optional eye shield accessory can be positioned between the operator and the light guide to ensure complete protection.
- When using a high-output, fast-curing light, precise aiming over the material to be cured is necessary before activating the light.
- Allow 2-3 seconds for cooling of the tooth between curing cycles
- Place the curing light in the charging base when not in use.
- Slide the barrier sleeve over the unit, followed by placement of the orange light shield.
- Curing tip may be heat sterilized.
- Discard the orange light shield after five sterilization cycles.