Frequently Asked Questions
Want to know how we rate products? Or any other information about THE DENTAL ADVISOR?
I am a subscriber to the paper version of THE DENTAL ADVISOR. Why should I subscribe to THE DENTAL ADVISOR Online?
THE DENTAL ADVISOR Online is an expansion of the paper version of THE DENTAL ADVISOR with many new features.
New Features of THE DENTAL ADVISOR Online
- Product Comparison tool – over 150 product comparison tables – make your own custom tables
- Ask The Editors – over 100 clinically relevant questions and answers – even submit your own questions
- View Clinical Evaluations – over 400 clinical evaluations of current products and equipment
- Best of the Best – head-to-head clinical evaluations of the top products
- Editors’ Choice – find the products recommended by the editors of THE DENTAL ADVISOR
- Ability to print and save files in your own folder
- Review archived issues of THE DENTAL ADVISOR
- View Research Reports, Clinical Case Reports and Translating the Science Reports
- View the latest Product News and Updates
- View Continuing Education opportunities
- Learn about services provided to dental manufacturers
- Search our website by manufacturer, product category and product name with our powerful full text search engine
Note – Many of these features require a standard or premium subscription.
How often is THE DENTAL ADVISOR Online updated?
You can expect to find new information added to THE DENTAL ADVISOR Online every week. As soon as clinical evaluations of products are completed, the articles are published online, often several months before the articles are scheduled for publication in the paper version of THE DENTAL ADVISOR. Information on new products is added to the Product Comparison tables on a regular basis as well. New issues of THE DENTAL ADVISOR can be found online in January/February, March, April, May, June, July/August, September, October, November, and December.
Why do most products receive a rating of 4+ or 4½ +?
As illustrated by a bell curve, most products score a 4+ or 4½+ rating because there are always more 4+ ratings than 3+ or 5+ ratings. Manufacturers work very hard to prepare a product for market, which helps ensure that their products meet or exceed our performance expectations. It is because of this effort that most products will receive ratings of 4+ or 4½+.
Do any products receive a rating of 1+ or 2+?
Yes, but we rarely publish these results. Rather, we return the product report to the manufacturer with a detailed list of recommended improvements. Very often, the manufacturer improves the product and has it re-evaluated, resulting in a rating of 4+ or above.
Do we publish evaluations of all products evaluated?
No, the results of about 10% of the products we evaluate are not published. Reports are returned to the manufacturer with recommendations for product improvements. Very often, the manufacturer improves the product and has it re-evaluated, resulting in an improved rating.
Do many products receive a rating of 5+?
Less than 10% of the products we evaluate receive our highest rating.
Is the cost of a product included in the calculation of the rating?
No, the cost of a product is not included in the calculation of the rating. The cost is provided as a convenience to our readers. We report the manufacturer’s suggested retail price.
I am a Basic subscriber. Why am I not able to use the Product Comparison feature?
The Product Comparison feature is only available to Standard and Premium subscribers. A Basic subscriber can use this feature by upgrading their subscription.
Who can use the Personal Archive to store information?
Standard and Premium subscribers can store information in their personal archive. Some information that is available to Standard subscribers will expire after one year. Information available to Premium subscribers does not expire. To access your Personal Archive, just click on “My Account” in the upper right hand corner of the web page.
What is a registered guest?
A registered guest is a guest who provides an email address and agrees that we can send emails offering our services. A registered guest can view some content. Additional content is available to basic, standard and premium subscribers.