Composi-Tight 3D Sectional Matrix System
- “I had good results once the rings were placed.”
- “Excellent margin adaptation – little flash so little interproximal finishing required!”
- “Wedge Wands had good contours and the selection was excellent.”
- “The soft face tips adapt very well to the interproximal area forming a very tight contact and natural contour.”
- “There is a slight learning curve with this product, but well worth the effort.”
- “Challenging to place rings, especially when restoring a molar/premolar contact with interproximal width discrepancies.”
- “The matrix bends and flexes too easily.”
Composi-Tight 3D Sectional Matrix System is designed to create tight, anatomical contacts on Class II composite restorations. The system is made up of three components: bands, rings and wedges. Slick Bands are single-use disposable, contoured sectional matrix bands with a non-stick surface. Two ring types are included in the system: Soft Face 3D-Ring, with a padded surface that adapts to the contours of the tooth and larger tips for use with wider embrasures; and G-Ring, which has thin tines with burnished ends. Wedge Wands are contoured plastic wedges with attached handles for easy placement, adjustment and removal. Wedges are available in four color-coded sizes. The Soft Face 3D-Ring is recommended as the primary ring, with the G-Ring being utilized in cases of stacking the rings for treatment of multiple surfaces or when increased ring retention is required. Both types of rings are angled at 12.5° to allow stacking of the rings. Steam autoclaving is recommended to maintain the strength and appearance of the rings. The system as packaged contains three Soft Face 3D-Rings (orange tip), two G-Rings (gray), 170 Assorted Slick Bands. 400 assorted Wedge Wands, one pair of placement forceps, and instructions. Composi-Tight 3D Sectional Matrix System was evaluated by 32 consultants in 1031 uses. The product received a 92% clinical rating.
Composi-Tight 3D is a complete sectional matrix system with improvements over the original version. The new 3D-Ring provides close adaptation of the band to the tooth, reducing flash on the buccal and lingual aspects. Cervical adaptation is excellent and resulting contacts are very good. The non-stick coating on the inside of the bands is color-coded for visual identification of the five band sizes. The coating allows the bands to be easily removed after light curing. On teeth with short clinical crowns, the auxiliary G-ring may have to be used, as the 3D-Ring tends to slip off of short teeth. Dentists found the Wedge Wands to be effective, and the sizes satisfied most clinical requirements. The handle portion of the wedge can aid in placement. The translucent wedges allow light transmission, which is most useful in anterior areas, when used with a clear matrix. The entire system was highly rated for achieving very good interproximal contours in Class II composite restorations. Fifty percent of consultants reported that Composi-Tight 3D Sectional Matrix System was better than their current sectional matrix system and 19% reported that it was equivalent. Sixty-two percent would switch to Composi-Tight 3D Sectional Matrix System and 72% would recommend it.
- Stabilize the ring with your finger after placement to confirm it is on firmly.
- Use the thinner G-ring for short teeth, on canines and beside rubber dam clamps. Apply the tines of the ring between the band and the wedge.
- To separate the wedge from its handle, twist the wedge a few times before placement, and complete the separation after it is seated.