- “Did not stick to instruments or pull away from tooth structure.”
- “Polished easily with a nice luster.”
- “Blends well with surrounding tooth enamel.”
- “A bit stiff, but I like it that way.”
- “Sensitive to ambient light.”
- “Hard to extrude from capsule.”
- “Capsules should be marked with the composite name.”
SelectFil is a light-cured, nano-hybrid, low-shrinkage, universal composite. It is indicated for use as a direct restorative for all classes of restorations in both anterior and posterior teeth and may be used with any light-cured bonding system. SelectFil should be applied in layers of 2 mm or less. Lighter shades cure in 20 seconds while darker shades require 30 seconds (with minimum light output of 1000 mW/cm²). It is packaged in 4 g syringes and 0.3 g unit-dose capsules and is available in 10 shades (A1, A2, A3, A3.5, A4, B1, B2, C2, OA2, and BL). The SelectFil Intro Kit contains 50 capsules in five assorted shades. Individual shades in capsules and syringes are available separately. SelectFil was evaluated by 28 consultants in 839 uses. This universal composite received an 88% clinical rating.
SelectFil appealed to dentists who prefer a stiffer composite. The material is not sticky to instruments and has enough body for packing against a matrix band to achieve interproximal contacts. The cured composite blends well with the surrounding enamel and offers a simple, one-shade solution for esthetic restorations. The high viscosity of the composite makes it harder to extrude from the capsules. The composite should be protected from ambient light during placement. SelectFil was highly rated for ease of finishing and polishing, producing restorations with smooth, shiny surfaces.
- Dim the operatory light to extend working time.