TOKUYAMA REBASE II (PPL 2008)
- “A very good product – almost foolproof.”
- “Patients really appreciate both the short procedure time and the same-day convenience.”
- “Very handy kit – keeps all materials organized neatly together.”
- “Use of adhesive is critical. I could use more than the amount supplied.”
TOKUYAMA REBASE II is a chairside and laboratory, hard reline and border extension material for use with complete and partial dentures. It is formulated without methyl methacrylate monomer, but undergoes a complete intraoral cure. The lined base must be kept in the mouth continuously for 5:00 (fast set) and 8:00 (regular set, not available in the U.S.) for effective cure. Final hardening may be gained by immersing the relined base in a prepared solution of resin hardener powder dissolved in warm water for 3:00. TOKUYAMA REBASE II may be trimmed and finished with carbide burs, impregnated points and wheels, pumice, and acrylic polishers. The kit includes 80 g of base powder, 50 ml of liquid, 15 ml of adhesive, 48 g of powder resin hardener concentrate, and accessories packaged in a plastic organizer case (available on request). TOKUYAMA REBASE II fast set was evaluated by 25 consultants in 140 clinical applications. This product received a 96% clinical rating.
Consultants found that the packaging of TOKUYAMA REBASE II kept all of the materials neatly organized, and instructions were easy to follow. Patient acceptance was high since the material had a mild odor and generated little heat during curing. Fit and adaptation of the relined prostheses were rated very good to excellent. Principal objections to the kit centered on consultant’s individual preferences for a cartridge-based rather than a powder/liquid system. Seventy percent of consultants reported “a few bubbles” in the set material, with the remaining noting none. Eighty-five percent of consultants stated that they would purchase TOKUYAMA REBASE II, and 88% would recommend it.
- Establish tissue stops within the base area and practice patient insertion before loading with the mixed resin.
- Wait for a honey-like consistency before placement.
- Early trimming of excess with a scalpel blade is a timesaver.
- Not included in the kit are the primer liquids MR. BOND and METALTITE to increase the resin bond strength to base and noble metals.
Editors’ Note: The original evaluation was published in THE DENTAL ADVISOR, Vol. 21, No. 3, April 2004.