Solmetex HG5 Amalgam Separator (2020 Product Award)
- “Low maintenance system.”
- “Great solution for small spaces.”
- “I was concerned about changing the filter but was pleasantly surprised at the ease and cleanliness!”
- “Great product; Not only are we cleaning up our environment, but we improved the suction quality in our office as well!”
- “We place reminders in our schedule to check the canister.”
- “Canister collects all solids, including a lot of prophy paste.”
- “If installing the system yourself, be aware that plumbing fittings and hoses are not included.”
Hg5 Amalgam Separator provides containment of mercury and amalgam from dental waste lines and is ISO 11143 certified at greater than 99% efficiency. The system consists of the separator and a collection container and is installed in the main vacuum line. The unit can be either free standing or wall-mounted and works with both wet and dry vacuum systems. Hg5 Amalgam Separator accommodates up to 10 operatories; other models are available. The collection container, which can be changed by office staff or a technician without the use of tools, must be removed when full and sent for recycling. The purchase of each new canister includes delivery to a certified recycler, recycling and an online certificate for compliance verification. The Hg5 Series of amalgam separators also includes the Hg5-Mini (accommodating up to 4 operatories) and the Hg5-HV (accommodating up to 20 operatories). Hg5 Amalgam Separator includes a backplate, two mounting brackets, airwater separator and one collection container. Hg5 Amalgam Separator was installed in five dental offices and used during a six-month evaluation period. This amalgam separator received a 96% clinical rating.
Hg5 Amalgam Separator was evaluated in dental offices with three to five operatories. It integrates well with both wet-vac and dry-vac systems. After installation into the vacuum line, it was reported that there was no decrease in suction, and in one case the suction improved. The clear container makes it easy to read the level. The full container can be removed cleanly, and the new one is easy to attach. The company provides packaging for shipping the waste to the recycler, which encourages compliance. Consultants agreed that Hg5 Amalgam Separator performed its function with minimal monitoring and maintenance. Sixty percent of consultants rated Hg5 Amalgam Separator better than other amalgam separators they had used and 40% rated it equivalent. One hundred percent would switch to Hg5 Amalgam Separator and would recommend it to a colleague.
- Proper personal protective equipment should be worn by individuals handling full collection container.
- Use a vacuum line cleaner with a pH of 6-10.
- Check container first thing in the morning every couple of weeks.
- Use a flashlight to shine through the clear canister to help view the sediment level.