Ask the Editors
What are the most common reasons for sterilization failure using a heat sterilizer?
Common reasons for sterilization failure using a heat sterilizer:
- Inadequate precleaning of instruments
- Improper maintenance of equipment
- Cycle time too short or temperature too low
- Overloading or improper loading of sterilizer chamber
- Incompatible packaging material
- Interruption of sterilization cycle to add or remove an item
The most frequent cause of sterilization failure is human error.