- “I have used Traxodent with my two-cord system and the results are great.”
- “Easy to use; rinses off completely.”
- “This material seemed to work well following a gingivectomy, where cord could not be placed. I would not recommend it if osseous surgery were performed.”
- “It was difficult to get into sulcus without using retraction cord first. Cotton compression caps did not fit well interproximally, so retraction was often insufficient in spots.”
Traxodent® Hemodent Paste Retraction System is a 15% aluminum chloride topical gingival retraction paste, formulated to provide gingival retraction and hemostasis. It is intended for use prior to taking an impression, cementation, cavity preparation or wherever hemostasis and retraction are required. The Starter Pack includes seven syringes of Traxodent, 15 Bendable applicator tips, manufacturer’s instructions, cotton retraction caps and T-LOC™ Triple Tray® samples, the Value Pack contains 25 syringes, 50 applicator tips, manufacturer’s instructions and T-LOC and retraction cap samples. The Premier Retraction Caps are hollow cotton caps designed to enhance gingival retraction and assist hemostasis. Caps are available in three sizes: size 5 (large), size 3 (medium), and size 1 (small). Twenty-one consultants utilized this product. Traxodent received a 91% clinical rating.
Consultants liked the ease of use (good viscosity) and the quality of hemostasis achieved. They reported that retraction was improved when cord was used in conjunction with the paste. Traxodent rinses off the tooth well, leaving a clean surface with no residue. Some consultants preferred to use cotton rolls or gauze rather than the retraction caps included with the kit. Thirty-eight percent of consultants reported that Traxodent Hemodent Paste Retraction System was better than their current gingival retraction paste, whereas 24% reported it was the same. Eighty-six percent would recommend it.
- Do not use on persons with known allergy to aluminum chloride.
- Do not use in patients with significant periodontal disease or furcation involvement.
- Use Traxodent paste in conjunction with retraction cord.
- Bite on cotton instead of caps provided.
- Use a wet cotton pellet to remove any remaining paste that doesn’t come off with rinsing.